Undergoing a significant weight loss is a hugely rewarding and satisfying accomplishment, but sadly many find themselves left with stretched out sagging skin that is an unwelcome reminder of a past way of living. This extra skin is not only unsightly but can interfere with daily activities, make clothing options difficult and even lead to frequent skin infections.
Body contouring can help remove this “extra baggage” of skin and tissue polishing off the new slender figure you worked so hard for.
Who is a Good Candidate?
Candidates for Body Contouring procedures include anyone interested in trimming excess skin and fatty tissue left behind after a significant weight loss.
Suitable candidates are also in overall good health, have realistic expectations of the procedure and are non-smokers.
After a thorough discussion of your options, desired outcome, and expectations, you and Dr. Silver will determine the best method to address your concerns and wishes.
Several steps are involved in the planning portion of this procedure including pictures, labs and a general physical exam.
Body contouring is usually quite extensive and is typically performed in an outpatient surgical center or hospital under general anesthesia. The duration of a body contouring procedure depends upon how many areas are to be treated and to what extent.
Body contouring often includes all or a combination of the following lift and tuck procedures:
- Facelift to address the jowls and neck
- Breast lift to address sagging breast tissue
- Abdominoplasty (a.k.a. Tummy Tuck) to address the skin and extra tissue around the middle
- Lower body lifts that can address the buttocks, inner and outer thighs
- Inner (medial) thigh lift to address the inner thigh skin
- Arm lift to address sagging upper arm tissue
Results and Recovery
Recovering from body contouring procedures can take a few weeks, but the final results are well worth the wait. Swelling and bruising can be expected initially, but the bandaging, rest and other post-op care instructions given to you by Dr. Silver will help you heal quickly and thoroughly. Several follow-up visits will be planned to monitor your improvement and address any concerns that develop.
Overall Benefits of Body Contouring:
- Firmer, more slender body shape
- Rewarding removal of excess skin after the hard work of significant weight loss
- Improved skin health and decreased risk of infections
- Better fitting clothes
- Lighter, less weighed down feeling
- Improved self-confidence and body image
If you have undergone a significant weight loss but are left with the unwanted reminder of your excess weight in the form of sagging skin, contact our office today to learn if body contouring is the right procedure for you.